Thursday, March 11, 2010

Taking Chances
Chapter 1:

~Sookie~
Another day passed, and what did I have to show for it? An engagement ring in my jewelry box and no fiancé. Alcide was the love of my life, someone I would have never thought I'd meet in a million years. He was kind, caring, loving, and always thoughtful of me. He used to come home to me every night, never allowing work to get in between us. I loved him with all my heart, but lately I wondered if there was more for me than sitting around waiting for him.
True, I had a job of my own. I owned a bookshop around the corner from where we lived; a small children's bookstore that was passed down to me from my mother when she died. Alcide moved from his swanky bachelor-pad uptown to my comfortable townhouse. He made so many sacrifices for me throughout the years, that I never asked anymore of him than what he had already given me.
We had been engaged for over four years, and I never asked when our wedding day would come. He was so busy moving up in the ranks of the business world, that he didn't have time to think about planning a wedding. But that didn't mean that I couldn't find the time. I had bought every magazine from Brides to Honeymoons, laying them around the house; always making sure the newest issue was placed on top of the nightstand by the bed in hopes he would see it and realize we needed to set a date. The last time I had asked him was two years ago, and it was nonchalantly brought up. He said it would happen when we were both ready for it.
If he isn't ready for marriage, then why did he propose?
I quickly shook my head, clearing that thought. He loved me, and I loved him, and for many years, I had told myself that was all that mattered. But three months ago, I woke up and told him I was through. I couldn't wait the rest of my life for him to come around, for him to be ready to get married and give me the life I wanted for us.
I expected for him to put up more of a fight, so when he said he would have his stuff packed by the weekend, I was shocked. I thought I had meant more to him than that, but I supposed I hadn't since he moved out. He also told me he returned to his old apartment. I was upset when he said that, wondering why he never got rid of it. Did he ever intend to?
I glanced up at the clock on the wall that said it was half past eight. I had picked up some takeout, so I sat at the table shuffling the different cartons around.
About halfway through a box of greasy noodles, my phone started to buzz. I picked it up, not looking at who was calling.
"Alcide?"
I heard a snort. "No, it's Amelia. I guess you still haven't heard from him."
"No," I sighed. "I really miss him."
"I know you do. Hey! Why don't you come out with us tonight? Girls night out, it's Friday you know."
"I guess I could. Where you going?"
"I was thinking the club downtown called Exotic Pleasures," she giggled. "I bet we will have a blast there."
"Sounds like fun," I said looking at my watch. "Want me to come over in an hour?"
"Sounds good. See you then," she hung up, and I did the same. Determined to have a good time, I went upstairs to change.
Going through my closet, I found a brown mini-dress, and I openly squealed, remembering the brown, knee-high boots I bought just last week that were on sale. Putting on the clothes and going into the bathroom to do my hair and makeup, I wished Alcide was able to go out with me tonight. I missed him so much, having not seen him for the past few months; but thinking back, he never had the time to do these things with me. He would call me to say his boss, Sophie Ann, was keeping him later than usual. She was even more beautiful than any other model that he was surrounded by in the business he was in. Being the director of the hottest fashion shows around the area was taking a lot out of him. When we were together, I tried to keep all the drama to a minimum, only bothering him with things during the day that were really needed.
I guess that might have been where I went wrong, thinking that me not calling him was alright. Maybe he wanted to hear from me more often. Did he think I wouldn't have made a good wife simply because I never called? I was so perturbed over the whole situation, having wasted so much time with him.
I went downstairs and called the number for a cab to take me over to Amelia's, happy that it arrived within a few minutes. I hopped in, wondering if tonight was the night I would find someone new. Alcide had been my life up to three months ago, and I was more than ready to find another companion. I just wasn't sure if I was ever going to find a man like Alcide again, and it scared me. Did I make a mistake breaking up with him?
Amelia answered her door and practically threw herself at me. I squeezed her back, happy to see my overly excited friend.
"Are you ready for tonight Sookie?" she grinned, waving at the cab driver before he could leave. I figured she wanted him to take us there too.
"Hey Sooks," Tara said, peeking out from behind Amelia. I gave her a smile and a hug.
"How you been? I didn't know you were coming down for the weekend."
"I had off, so I wanted to surprise my sister," she said, as Amelia pushed her out the door, grabbing her purse and keys. We both rolled our eyes at her as she made gestures to get into the cab.
On the ride to the club, Amelia kept going on about how her current boyfriend, Tray, would be there, and how he was the bartender. It wasn't completely against her own character to date a bartender; she seemed to love the nightlife, more than anyone else I knew. While I could enjoy the night scene, I loved being out in the daytime and having the sun on my face. Amelia, she could stay out all night and sleep all day. Despite the fact that we were complete opposites, we'd been best friends for over ten years.
"So Sookie, are you going to look for a man tonight?" Tara teased, and I rolled my eyes.
"Men are complicated," I mumbled, and Amelia chuckled.
"You should give up men entirely and try batting for the other team," Amelia said, her eyes full of mischief. "You wouldn't be disappointed."
I knew Amelia was talking from experience, and I would have been lying if I said I hadn't thought of it before. But the thought of being with a woman, it frightened me. Bedding only one man so far, I wasn't exactly skilled or adventurous.
"I don't know about that Amelia."
"You should just try it Sookie. If anything, you'd learn new things," she sighed. "You could always look and take it slow."
"True," I said softly, turning my attention out the window.
When we arrived at the club we were allowed entrance immediately as the other people waited in line, groaning as we walked in before them. Tara looked around, wondering where we were, and that was when I noticed it. The club Amelia dragged us to was the new one that opened up a few weeks ago, definitely the hot place to be right now.
We made our way through the swarms of people that crowded the dance floor to the bar. Amelia spotted Tray almost immediately and screamed his name out, causing everyone around her to look at her. Amelia grabbed Tara's arm and took her to the other side of the bar where Tray was standing. He took Amelia in his arm and introduced himself to her sister. I didn't want to ruin their getting to know each other, so I took a seat at the bar, watching some men staring at me from across the place. They were all there for one thing, the one thing I wouldn't give any of them. A bartender came over and asked me what I wanted to drink.
"Gin and tonic please," I said sweetly, moving my head to the beat of the music. The steady stream of rock-pop blared out of the speakers. Not being one that enjoyed the club scene, I wasn't used to all the different music that was remixed. Deciding to just let it go and have a good time, I sipped the drink set in front of me, enjoying the liquid burn.
Glancing around the club, I noticed there were polls in different positions throughout, where dancers were positioned. Dressed in leather clothing, I figured they worked here, or were out for a hardcore time. Casting my eyes further out, my vision felt as thought it was being pulled in one direction, as though I was looking for something. Well, perhaps I was, and didn't know it.
That was when I caught sight of someone that would change my life forever. She glided across the floor towards the bar steadily, her hair bouncing with every step. The sway of her hips creating a delicious movement that, along with her pants, had her curves on display. She was dressed in red with a gold belt accentuating her outfit. Full, pouty lips adorned her face, setting off her soft features from the flashing lights on the floor. She was gorgeous.
"There you are!" Amelia shouted, coming up beside me, shaking me from the trance that the woman in red had me in. I noticed Tara didn't waste anytime finding someone to dance with. She currently had two guys on the floor with her, and she didn't seem at all shy about it, and certainly not like the small town, country girl I once knew growing up.
"Lets dance!"
"My drink," I said, watching as Amelia took it from me and downed the contents.
"I'll buy you another one," she said, taking my hand and leading me out to the floor. What could I say? I hadn't been out dancing for a while, and I did like Amelia as my partner. While dancing with another woman was erotic on its own, the way we went about it wasn't at all sexual. Her hands would stay in her space as did mine, and we were having a good time.
I laughed as we twirled each other for the next four songs coming from the speakers. Later, Tray came behind Amelia, encircling his arms around her. I silently thanked him, since I needed to get a drink anyways. Plus, these boots had not been broken in yet, and my feet needed a rest.
I moved my hips to the beat as I approached my stool once again, and I felt butterflies form in the pit of my stomach. There, sitting next to my original spot, was the woman in red I was ogling earlier. I wondered what to do. Do I talk to her? Or wait for her to speak? I took the last few steps to my stool, and for the most part, she ignored me. Deep down, I wanted to talk to her, wanted to know who this woman was that drew in my attention, but I was too shy, too afraid of what it would mean. Ordering another drink from the bartender, I took my previous stance, facing the dance floor, crossing my legs, and reached for the drink.
"You dance beautifully," a soft, husky voice said from beside me. I cocked my head, allowing my hair to flow over my shoulders, and almost gasped at the sight before me. I had never thought seeing a woman would make me breathless, but that was how I felt. If my previous thoughts about her were much, now that I saw her up close, I was blown away by her. Her eyes were blue, framed with long, dark eyelashes. Her soft lips curved into a smirk as she noticed me checking her out, and she leaned closer to me. "Like what you see?"
I blushed furiously, turning my head back to the dance floor. Who knew a woman could make me feel so flustered. When I ignored her, she tried to get my attention again.
"Do you live around here?" she asked innocently, sipping her drink.
"Yes, I live across town," I said politely, and she smiled.
"I am from out of town, Chicago to be exact," she said, directing her eyes back to the dance floor, watching the many couples move against each other. By now, I had no idea where Tara had gone, but it seemed Amelia wasn't too upset about it. She knew what was better for her sister more than I did.
"I've never been to Chicago," I said, leaning back against the bar. Her eyes wondered over my body, drinking me in, seeming to stop where my legs were exposed. "See something you like?" I asked, meaning to sound snarky from her previous comment, but it came out heated. Or did I want it come out heated? There was something about the way her lips moved that made me want to lean in closer to her and see what she tasted like.
Her eye shot up to mine, and she tilted her head. "You have no idea," she whispered, setting her drink down on the bar and holding her hand out to me. "Dance with me," she commanded, and I obeyed without question, mesmerized by the movement of her lips.
Walking out to the middle of the floor, I watched as her hips rocked from side to side, her tight pants hugging onto every curve of her body. I never thought myself attracted to women before, and she was certainly a surprise. Her touch, her fingers touching mine, was causing goosebumps to appear across my flesh.
She came to a stop and turned to face me. Her hands went to my hips, and without a word, we started to move. Slowly at first, finding a rhythm between us that worked, until we were closer, our legs entwined as we swayed to a steady beat. Her face pressed closer to mine as I turned against her body, her hands coming to rest low on my waist as I moved. I was intrigued that we fit so perfectly together, as though she was the missing piece to my puzzle. I turned again, roughly pulling her body closer to mine, loving how her face turned into a smirk at my actions. Her skin was so soft under my fingers, and I found myself caressing her as we danced.
After a while, it felt as though there was no music around us, no people. It was only us, dancing close together, our bodies creating friction as we nudged each other into submission. We did this for a few songs, neither one accepting the offers from men that came up to us. We weren't in the mood to be separated. It was both thrilling and frightening, knowing I was pressing my body close to a woman I had just met, a woman that I had no idea what her name was.
I could feel the fabric covering my sex beginning to moisten as she grinded her body closer to mine. Her breast pushing up against my own felt amazing. I locked eyes with her, allowing the music to take over, when she leaned in and brushed her lips against mine. At first, I didn't kiss her back, afraid of what was happening.
I wasn't a lesbian, but I wasn't against it either. I never thought I'd be with a woman, so I never considered what that would entail. I had always chased men, and I just got out of a relationship with a man, Alcide. But something inside me shifted at that moment. What I was diving into was unknown territory, but Amelia's words rang in my mind. Give it a chance and see what happens.
Without further thought I deepened the kiss, and moaned as her lips parted, and I could taste her fully. Her tongue reach out for mine, which I greedily accepted. She tasted like cool cherries, freshly picked from the garden, something I eagerly wanted more of.
When she pulled back, she gave me a smile, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, and placed a chaste kiss on my lips; much more modest for being in a public place.
"Want to get out of here?" she asked, and I nodded unable to speak. Her fingers laced with mine as we made our way towards the entrance and out of the club where she hailed a cab. I would have thought holding hands with her might have felt strange or embarrassing, but all I wanted at that moment was to kiss those pouty lips again, to feel the softness of her skin.
Once we were in the cab, I did just that, taking a moment to truly savor her, as though I might never have her again. She pulled me back just enough to look me in the eyes and chuckled.
"What is your name, love?" she asked huskily, her lips connecting with mine once more.
When her lips trailed down my neck, I whimpered out, "Sookie."
She touched my face, kissing my nose and then my lips softly.
"I'm Pam, and this night has just started."
I felt a shiver of anticipation flood my veins, thinking of what she had planned for me.

3 comments:

  1. Kick ass story! I love Pam so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting do you think you will do any more chapter on it Kristie

    ReplyDelete