Monday, March 15, 2010

Grasping At Impossible
Chapter 13:

I awoke by some godly power, before 9 am. I haven't been able to do that since college. Having my morning classes burned into my brain, no matter what time I went to sleep the night before I always woke with more than enough time to get ready. I may have partied hard and went to, as well as ran, many house parties, but I never forgot my main reason for being there. I wanted to make something of myself, even though my background and family support system was nonexistent. I proved to myself, and whatever higher power there was out there, that Eric Northman wouldn't cower easily.
I got out of bed, eager for the days activities. I was nervous having Sookie coming to my home, and although she had seen the outside, the inside was still a mystery to her. I wanted to make it look presentable, as much as a man could, so I immediately started straightening up whatever was lying around the house. Luckily, the maid that came over weekly was there when I was out of the country, so I didn't have to worry about delving my hands into cleaning products. My bedroom was considered the messiest, and after thinking about it, I decided I should pick it up. After all, who knew what would happen tonight when my girl came over.
That brought me up short.
My girl.
Was she my girl? Could I rightfully call say she was, or not? I ran my hand through my hair, wondering when it became this confusing. One minute I was all about fucking and leaving her, then the next I wanted her as mine and mine alone. The very thought of another man touching her sent my blood boiling. I really needed to figure this out before I did something I regretted. I wasn't one to let something slip through my fingers. If I wanted something in particular, all I had to do was claim it as my own. Did I want Sookie that way? To tell the truth, I wasn't sure. I was growing fonder of her as the days went by. Something about her made me feel whole… the way I felt when my parent were still alive.
I broke out of my reverie to the sound of my phone going off. I groaned when I saw the name lighting up the face.
"Hey sugar," his voice said without a greeting from me, "how was your night?"
"It went fine," I said, taking out a fresh pair of jeans and picking out a white button up shirt from my closet. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower, giving it a few moments to warm up before jumping in.
"What are you up to today?" he asked, and from the sound of it, he was driving in his car.
"I have Sookie coming over in about an hour, so I need to get ready," I answered, perturbed. I really didn't have time to check in with him.
"What?" he barked into the phone. "I thought you were going to think about this, and figure out what is going on before seeing her again."
"I did think it over."
There was silence for a moment before he asked, "And?"
I sighed into the phone. "I'm not really sure Lafayette. I know I really like her, and want to be around her."
"So you admit there is more than just the desire to fuck," he deadpanned, and I snorted. "Good for you Eric. Maybe now you will have a real relationship."
"Hold up," I said quickly. "I didn't say that. I only told you I realize there could be more, if I so desired it."
"Jesus Christ Eric, just decide soon," he griped back. "Your love life is giving me whiplash."
"Then butt out," I yelled back before slamming my phone shut. As much as that man was like a brother to me, he knew exactly how to piss me off at times.
I quickly hopped into the shower, cleaning and rinsing off, not wanting to stay in there any longer than needed. Normally I would have taken the time to get off, but I was too eager to see Sookie. As I was drying off, I got a text from her saying she was ten minutes away. At top speed, I threw my clothes on and dried my hair. I threw on some cologne I noticed she likedwhen we were in Brazil and checked myself out in the mirror. I was looking really good, and if anything happened tonight, which I hoped it would, I would be ready for it. I was brushing my teeth when I heard a knock at the door. I spit out the toothpaste in my mouth, and hurriedly ran down the hall to answer it. I put on my best smile as I unlocked the door.
"Sookie, you're ear..." I stopped abruptly when I saw who was on my doorstep. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I growled.
He breezed past me shaking his head, and taking a seat on the couch. "Is that any way to speak to your best friend?" he asked, looking offended.
Not bothering to close the door, since leaving it open would make it easier to throw him out on his ass, I walked over to him and loomed over his seated form. " Get. Out. Now."
"Why?" he asked innocently.
"You know Sookie is coming over any minute, so leave," I stated firmly. He leaned back into the couch, getting comfortable.
"Great. I would like to get to know her better."
"Oh hell no!" I said, wanting nothing more than to smack the smirk off his face. Just as I was about to grab his shirt and remove him by force, I heard a soft knock at the front door.
"Hello?" said a sweet voice. I calmed down a bit, and walked over tot the foyer to greet her. "Eric?" When she saw me her eyes lit up. "I wasn't sure I should come in, since your front door was open."
I waved my hand, stepping closer to her. "Come in, my love," I said, taking the heavy bags from her hands, "let me get those for you."
She smiled gratefully and reached up, planting a kiss on my cheek. I would be lying if I said the feel of her lips against my skin didn't do things to me. "Thanks baby. I'm going to get the rest from the car, and I'll be right in." I watched as she bounced down the steps back towards her car, her ass swaying with every move. I emitted a low groan and headed back into the house towards the kitchen. Lafayette was leaning against the counter with a shit-eating grin on his face.
"Love, huh?" he chuckled under his breath.
"Would you just leave?" I seethed and he shook his head. "You know you are ruining her plans for us tonight."
His smile dropped from his face. "Her plans?"
"Yes, her plans. She wanted to cook me dinner and watch a movie...alone. Not my idea, hers," I stated plainly trying to convey the importance here. It's one thing to ruin my plans but to do that to her… he was walking on a thin line with me. He seemed to realize this and had the decency to look abashed.
"Dude, I thought this was all a part of your scheme..."
"No, it isn't," I answered, exasperated with him for the night. He needed to leave before I really did something I regretted to him. He opened his mouth to reply but Sookie walked in, carrying a small ice chest and a couple more bags. She breezed past us towards the kitchen and I was pleased she was comfortable taking control in my home.
Her face fell slightly when she saw Lafayette beside me, but she quickly recovered, taking his hand in hers and giving him a warm smile. "Its good to see you again, Lafayette. Are you staying for dinner?"
"No!"
"Yes!"
We both answered at the same time, and I turned to glare at him. He really wanted to meet an early grave tonight it seemed. Sookie looked back and forth between us while unloading a few containers from her bags, and a bottle of wine.
"Well, which is it?" she asked, amusement coloring her tone.
Lafayette was the first to break out of my gaze. "I would love to sugar, but I don't want to intrude on your evening," he said, batting his eyelashes and pouting his bottom lip out. I suppressed the growl building in my chest. Sookie seemed to notice my unhappiness and placed her small hand on my chest, effectively bringing me out of my homicidal state, and looked up at me with her big blue eyes – the same ones I get lost in.
"I'm sure Eric won't mind," she said sweetly, and I felt warmth flood through my body from her gaze. I leaned down and brushed my lips against hers, stroking my fingers across her cheek.
"I don't mind," I sighed. As much as I didn't want him here, fucking up whatever Sookie had planned, I couldn't deny her anything she asked of me. She gave me a smiled and continued unloading her bags.
"Then go ahead and pour our guest a glass of wine from what I brought," she instructed, and I raised a brow at the our guest remark. After a few seconds of thought, I reached for the bottle of wine, rolling my eyes at Lafayette and his smirk.
He was by my side instantly with three wine glasses, and I poured it while giving him a hateful look. The bastard just wouldn't get the point, and I made a mental note to fuck him over the next chance I got.
"Thanks," he said, accepting the full glass of wine from me. He gave me a wink before turning to Sookie. "So sugar, what are you making tonight?"
She looked at me, and I saw a mischievous twinkle come to her eyes before opening the ice chest she had brought with her. "Well," she said while reaching in and taking out a de-feathered chicken that was still bleeding from the neck. I heard Lafayette let out a loud gasp and back up a few steps. "First I need to get this chicken cut up and boiled so I can use the meat. That will take about an hour and a half." I watched as she directed this answer at Lafayette who was looking paler by the second. I watched as she explained where she was going to cut it, and what pieces were the best to use in certain other recipes. Lafayette just stared at her in shock as she took out a knife from the bag beside her, that was a sharpened clever and placed it next to the dead bird in the sink. To tell the truth, I was as shocked as he was, though I was trying not to show it. What the hell went through this girls head that she thought she had to kill a chicken to make me dinner? I shuffled through my memory, trying to remember if I saw chickens at her Gran's house.
"You killed that chicken?" Laff asked bluntly, his hand over his heart.
Sookie gave him a wry smile. "You can't make homemade chicken pot pie without a real fresh chicken. Anyone worth their salt in the kitchen will tell you that Lafayette," she replied, and I stood there, not knowing really what to say or do. She looked over at me and gave me a quick wink. I was stunned for a whole two seconds before I caught on. I finally got a good look at Lafayette and saw he was getting more uncomfortable by the second. His eyes were focused on the chicken bleeding out in the sink. She picked it up and he made a gesture as though he was going to be sick. Either she liked making people uncomfortable or, as I was seeing it, she didn't want his presence here, anymore than I did.
I decided to take a chance and play along. "You pluck those feathers yourself too?"
Her eyes shot over to mine and danced with amusement. Sookie was surprising me every day with her quirky nature. Sure I knew she was a country girl, but I didn't expect her to take it this far. What next? Was she going to bring a doe she shot and gut it in my garage? I shook my head, trying to get that image out.
"Yes, I did. But not before I cut its head off."
That was the end of the line for Lafayette who stood up from the counter and took those few more steps to grab his jacket and make a beeline for the door. "I think I will leave you two and the bleeding bird to your night. I am going."
I walked over to him and grabbed his arm, turning him as Sookie came up beside him. "Are you sure, hon?" she asked sweetly. "There will be more than enough to go around."
"Thanks, but no thanks," he said, taking a few more steps, backing away from us. "I have a previous engagement, uh, tonight...but you two have fun."
Without another word he darted out the front door, letting himself out of my home. It took a lot to stump Lafayette, and Sookie seemed to get to him just as much as she does to me. I walked over to the door and locked it to make sure no one else had the nerve to show up and ruin my evening with Sookie. When I came back into the kitchen, she already had the chicken cut up, and was washing off the parts, placing them into the pot she had on the stove.
I stood behind her, wrapping my arms around her waist, happy when she leaned into my embrace. I kissed her behind her ear, watching as she put different spices into the pot. She covered it, then turned in my arms so she was facing me. "Do you think he will be upset I scared him so much? I just figured..."
"Don't worry about it," I said nuzzling her cheek with my nose. "I thought you got rid of him perfectly."
She sighed, placing her arms around my neck, her lips grazing against mine. "I missed you Eric," she said against them, and kissed me. I let out a low moan as she sucked my bottom lip into her mouth, nibbling the soft skin. I responded, bringing my hands around to cup her ass, enjoying the whimpering sounds coming from her throat. Her ass fit perfectly in my hands, and I was grateful she had the curves that befitted a woman. I liked her soft flesh under my hands, and relished in her warmth. I deepened the kiss, pressing her body closer to mine, needing to have her closer.
After a moment, I pulled back, looking at her flushed face. Her eyes were half open, hazed with lust for me, wanting more.
Good.
"Come. Lets watch a movie, while your kill boils in the pot," I said, and she giggled from my words, wrapping her hand into my extended one. I led her to the couch and grabbed the controller, pressing play for the DVD to come on. I placed an arm around her shoulder, and she cuddled into my side, waiting for the movie to come on.
"The 13th Warrior?" she gasped as the credits came on the screen.
"Yes, do you not like this movie?" I asked trying to keep my worry out of my tone. A woman that didn't appreciate the classics would never find much in common with me. Especially a movie that goes with my heritage.
"No, I do like it. I haven't seen it in a while," she assured me with a small smile. "Last time was a few years ago at my flat in New York."
"For someone who travels a lot, you still manage to have an apartment?" I asked, wondering where she lived.
"I do," she said. "I own two. The other is in LA, for when I have to check in with the company. My New York one is mainly for overnight stays. When I have to travel out of the country most flights that are booked for me leave from the airports there."
"So where do you stay the most?" I inquired, and she gave me a sweet smile.
"Wouldn't you like to know," she teased, and I kissed her nose.
"I would," I stated, watching her eyes dancing.
"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."
"Europe?" I asked.
"No."
"Asia?"
"No," she answered with a giggle.
"So you live in North America?"
"Yes."
"Then it won't surprise me," I said with a smirk.
She rolled her eyes. "San Antonio, Texas. I live in a sweet yellow house in town that I had renovated from the early 1900's. I love it," she said softly. I would have expected her to say she lived close to her Grandmothers house, but apparently this place called to her, and she felt more at home there.
"I hope I will see it one day," I whispered, kissing the top of her head.
Her eyes looked into mine and I could see for a moment how life would be with her, in a world where I would be able to...
"I would like that," she offered before turning back to the TV.
Halfway through the movie, Sookie got up and de-boned the now cooked chicken, placing the meat into a large bowl. I followed her in there, keeping conversation with her about where she learned these recipes and her cooking skills. She explained that her Gran believed in organic things and to make the dish really stand out, you needed the freshest ingredients to make it just right. I was enthralled watching her make the sauce and toss the veggies, the ones she picked from her Gran's garden last night, along with killing the meat. She got out a baking pan and poured the contents into it, then got out a thin sheet of dough from the fridge she had brought with her. She covered the dish, and poked holes through it, wrapped it in foil and stuffed it into the preheated oven. Sookie washed her hands and gave me an amused look.
"What?"
I was still in shock that she was going through this much trouble for me. "You didn't have to make this much for me Sookie. I would have been happy if you brought a frozen pizza over and that was our dinner." It was the truth. I would have ate anything she brought over for me, as long as it was tasteful, and as long as she was here with me.
"Just let me work my magic," she said, and I quirked an eyebrow at her.
"What do you mean?"
"You know what they say..."
"No, what do they say?" she had my attention. She pursed her lips and gave me a smirk, coming over and wrapping her arms around my waist, and placing a quick kiss on my lips.
"The way to a mans heart is through his stomach," she whispered against my lips, then walking back into the living area. I had so many things I could have quipped back with, but none of those words suited Sookie. No, when a woman made advances towards me before her, I would simply shoot them down. A remark like that would have put a girl in tears, hearing my heart belonged to no one. As much as I wanted to correct her, I feared that she was actually closer to the truth with that statement than I had thought previously.
I grabbed the two wine glasses, making sure to top them off and followed her, sitting myself on the couch. She gave me an appreciative smile while taking a sip of her wine. We settled into our positions once again with her in my arms while we watched the rest of the movie. When it was time for her to check the dish the movie was over, and I picked up the next one I had chosen to watch. She watched and gave me an unamused expression.
"Conan the Barbarian?" she asked, quirking her eyebrow. "Seriously Eric, I get you are all about swords and fighting movies, but I didn't know you would subject me to watch this!"
I laughed as the movie went on and kissed her head as she grumbled next to me. "This is another of my favorites. You have something against it?"
"As a matter of fact, I never liked this movie," she huffed, and I chuckled.
"What are you so against?" I asked, trying to feign being hurt from her comments.
"It's so stupid is all. What's the next one you have planned? Are we going to watch the one where the man rides a horse that is on fire, and can fly, to some pyramid or some shit. I bet you have that one too," she griped and I didn't know where this side of her was coming from. Was she PMSing?
"What?"
She shook her head. "Oh never mind," she sighed. "I just get moody sometimes."
At that, I couldn't contain it any longer, and I busted out laughing. She turned in my arms and glared at me. "Are you talking about Krull?" That was another of my favorites, though I wasn't sure if I had it anymore. I would need to check.
"ARG!"
I laughed more, pulling her to my chest and kissing her cheek. "Oh Sookie, you amuse me so!"
"So glad I can," she mumbled against me, and I held her tighter.
Four hours and another movie later, we were in the kitchen cleaning the dishes from the excellent dinner she had prepared for us. Watching her be so comfortable in my home made me wish deep down she would always be here doing these little things with me. I could see us years from now, doing just this. While the thoughts of a future with Sookie streamed through my mind, she told me of her photography assignments, about why Thalia was such a soft subject for her. She had been working with her for over a few a years, following her to homes as she documented all her contributions to the community. She told me that she enjoyed working for her boss Sophie-Ann, and was always sent on the assignments that fit her perfectly. She said that she really doesn't need to do work for her, seeing she was so known for her work, and could branch off on her own, but she was comfortable staying with her. She was pretty much working for the fun of it now, and she really only did the assignments that she was most passionate about. She loved her job from what I could tell, and that made me respect her even more. I found myself wanting to know more about the little things in her life that she held so close to her heart, why it was she left Louisiana and never looked back. She said she always wanted to explore the world, and when her Gran encouraged it, sending her to school and never let her back down, she found the courage to do it, knowing no matter where she was, her Gran supported her.
"Your Gran has always been there for you," I said softly and I saw her eyes glisten with tears. We were back on the couch, our limbs tangled together, while we listened to the soft music coming from the stereo system. She was sprawled across me, laying her body on mine, her face nestled in the crook of my neck. My hands were traveling down her spine, gently caressing her back.
"She has," she said, sniffling. After a moment silence she whispered, "I will be all alone when she is gone. I don't know what I will do."
I held her closer to me, my heart aching at her words. I wanted to tell her that no, she wouldn't be alone, and yes, she did have someone to lean on, but the words wouldn't come. Moments passed, and she sat up on my chest, leaning on her elbows. I wiped away the few tears that fell down her cheeks and kissed her forehead.
"Will you stay the night?" I asked her, and she closed her eyes.
"I really shouldn't. Gran needs me," she answered, and laid her head back on my chest. Though she said she should leave for the evening, she didn't make any move to budge from her current position. I held her tighter against me, wondering if there would ever be a day, when I wouldn't...no, couldn't let her go.

No comments:

Post a Comment