Sunday, May 2, 2010

Chapter 1:

Why did I have this feeling that something was utterly beyond my control, and that whatever it was, was going to happen that night?

I wished I could somehow hold myself responsible. I tried to count the times I had the chance to back out of going out with Amelia that night, but failed. Mostly because she gave me none... she wasn’t having no for an answer that time.

I sighed internally as I walked over to my closet and chose the outfit I would wear.

Having no intention of ever playing the part of a woman that would go to the place she was set on checking out, I decided on a white dress, one covered with little red flowers.

I should have said no anyway, protested, put up some sort of fight… and then if she kept it up, I could always have popped over to my cousin’s house to get away.

But of course, I didn’t think that far ahead. And besides, that was the whole point of me living there in the farmhouse. I wanted to have a fair go at living on my own, being normal for once.

Since Gran’s death, I hadn’t stepped foot into the family home that she handed down to me. My time was consumed elsewhere, and I wasn’t complaining. I had accepted my place in life, accepted what it meant when I signed over all rights to the cause I was born into.

Only thing was, I had no idea, at the time, of the level of freedom I would be giving up. That I would be watched over, followed around, etc. - pretty much anything that could be considered an invasion of privacy by common standards.

But things weren’t held to those same standards. No. Definitely not. And not a lot of good things came out of me living in the Faery, and taking control of things there for the past six years.

Sure, I had learned to lead an army, and not just any army, a full guardian army - those who couldn’t be controlled even by the darkest and strongest magic. But it wasn’t what I wanted. Not if I could go back in time and undo my commitment. I could’ve cared less that they only answered to my call. What a luxury that would have been. But I suppose that part of my life was very much as it was that night with Amelia. My choice wasn’t really my choice, was it?

Though I was there, in the farmhouse, living the sort of life I thought I wanted, not knowing what would really come of the next day or the day after.

The irony came to light, and it was shining pretty darn bright. I could command an entire force of nature, but I couldn’t control my friend Amelia; I had no say over where she was taking me.

To a vampire bar. Of all places. I’d already agreed.

And I never went back on my word; that was ingrained.

“Sookie, get down here! I’m ready,” Amelia’s said; her frustrated words filled the house. I could hear her just fine through her mind, not needing her to bring out her actual voice.

“I’ll be right down!” I yelled back, but really snapped it. I could hear her grumbling in her mind, and then her thoughts switched back to considering if she’d maybe find a vampire she could enjoy.

I shivered at the images she projected, throwing up my shields. Whoever wanted that was beyond me.

I was a part fairy, and really shouldn’t be going anywhere near vampires. Niall always told me they would use me, or try to make me do things, and that I would be compelled to do them.

Little did he know (until I straightened him out), that I couldn’t be glamoured and there was no way a vampire was going to tell me what to do. It just wasn’t going to happen.

Taking one last look in the mirror, I nodded, in agreement with myself that I did look pretty good. Grabbing my purse, I went to the front door where Amelia was practically bouncing up and down in excitement.

“We’re really doing this!” she said, following me out as I locked the house up. “I’m so glad you agreed to come.”

I sighed. “Amelia, I wouldn’t be going of my own free will. I didn’t want you to go in the first place, and I’m going to make sure nothing happens to you.”

“Sure…” she said, drawing out the word. “And it’s not because you want to try to read any vampires?”

Rolling my eyes, I walked towards the car.

“I have no idea what you are talking about.”

But that was a lie. I had never met a vampire, being kept in the Faery for so long, and then the revolution happened only a few years back. I hadn’t had the chance to scope any out or to see if their species was immune to me. I had practiced on weres before, and found they came in clear, as did many other supernatural creatures. It seemed the more I worked on my own powers in the Fae, the easier I was able to control them.

“Whatever,” I snapped, throwing the passenger door open and climbing inside. “Are we going or not?”

Giggling with glee, Amelia got into the other side, and started out for Fangtasia.



~o0o~o0o~o0o~o0o~




“Stay close to me and don’t say a word,” I muttered to Amelia.


We were walking up to the club entrance, and there were two vampires standing outside working the rope.

“And do as I say.”

‘Sookie, you need to calm down. I’m here to meet a vampire….remember?’

I rolled my eyes at her thought and walked up to the front of the line. The woman behind the rope looked me over, then turned her gaze toward Amelia. When her eyes roamed back to me, she smirked, her fangs running out slightly.

“You smell…divine,” the vampire purred. “Do show me your ID.”

I handed it to her, keeping my eyes on hers. I could feel her trying to force her will or something like it at me, a slight pressing on my mind, but I pushed it away. So not happening sister.

“Sookie Stackhouse,” she said softly, her eyes dancing. “Here you go.”

I took it back from her and noticed Amelia, staring at her with bug eyes. If her mind was any indication of what she wanted, that she liked the vampire’s lips when she spoke, it was going to be a long night. Gripping Amelia’s arm, I smiled sweetly.

“May we go in?”

Her fangs descended their full length and she took a deep breath, her eyes closing as she savored the air.

She smells so good, the vampire thought. The master will want her.

“Of course,” she said, opening her eyes, and moving the rope over so we could pass through. “I’ll be seeing you later,” she purred at Amelia, who blushed at her words.

Seemed my question for the night was answered. I could hear her clear as day, and that made me a bit uneasy. Vampires could be very hostile if they believe you are entering their, lets just say, personal space. Their thoughts for sure would be dark, and what she was talking about a ‘master’ was throwing me off. Whoever that was, I wasn’t interested in being wanted by anyone, especially if they came with fangs.

We made our way inside and took a seat at a booth in the back. A waitress came over and we ordered drinks, a Gin and Tonic for myself and a Long Island Iced Tea for Amelia. She came back within seconds with our order and I thanked her, handing her the money for them.

“So what do you hear, anything?” Amelia asked, and I shook my head; she didn’t want to know the thoughts I heard in that moment.

‘Someone, bite me, please…’

‘God, I hate men.’

‘He’s so dreamy. I hope he chooses me tonight.’

“Nothing worth repeating.”

We sat in silence, until Amelia decided she had to tell me about her latest boyfriend. I had to keep myself from snapping at her naïve ways. The man was clearly cheating on her, but then again, here she was, not acting much better. She specifically said she wanted to come here to find a female vampire to share the night with. What made her want that, I couldn’t read from her. It was like she locked it away from me, something rare that I hadn’t come across often, especially not from Amelia. Nonetheless, it was still cheating in my mind, but I let it go. I had enough issues; I’d let Amelia deal with her own personal life.

“Why don’t you-”

We were interrupted by the blonde vampire from outside, smiling down at us.

“Are you enjoying yourselves?” she asked, leaning her body towards Amelia.

“Ye…Yes,” Amelia stuttered, her face blushing.

The blond woman turned to me. “The master wishes to meet you.”

I quirked an eyebrow. “Master?”

“Of the bar,” she answered. “He wishes to speak to you, if you will.”

‘If you will’ What a load of nonsense. I was tending to believe this was another of those non-choice choices.

She waved her hand towards the other side of the bar, where a blond-haired man sat. His eyes were glittering blue and he looked… well he looked intimidating. Like something you would find on a romance novel cover. He was so big!

“Um…”

I was torn between going over there to keep the peace and going out of genuine interest, not to start something, but just to find out more. If that makes any sense at all…

‘Come to me my pet. Come and I will make your dreams come true…’

I blinked. That bastard. He was trying to will me to come to him. Like that was going to happen. I turned up to the woman and shook my head.

“I’m fine where I am, thanks though.”

I’d chosen against the inevitable, thinking ‘damn the consequences.’ Though I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t even a teeny bit curious to see what would happen as a result of my denial. He didn’t look like the kind of man who took no for an answer.

The vampiress only stared at me for a moment longer, before leaving the table and reporting back to her master.

And damn, if his eyes were any indicator, he was going to talk to me one way or another.

Suddenly, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach, but there was also a bit of a buzz of adrenaline running through me. It’s how I always felt when I’d gotten myself into something a bit over my head. But what was the point of living without a bit of excitement?

As my drink full on somersaulted in my stomach, I could only hope any discussion would be over quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment